7 p.m. Services Update
March 7th, 2012
Service update as of March 7, 2012 at 7 p.m.
- United Way's 2-1-1 is open to calls with disaster related needs Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. When the office is not open a message service will be taking messages for the next day.
- You can also reach 2-1-1 by dialing 423.265.8000 or if you are in Georgia or Alabama you can dial 1.866.921.3035.
- If you are experincing an immediate, life-threatening emergency, please dial 9-1-1.
UPDATE: American Red Cross will start door-to-door damage assessments on Wednesday, March 8, in Hamilton County. If you have questions about the assessment dial 2-1-1 or 423-265-8000.
Volunteers needed - more volunteer info at iHelpChattanooga.org
*NEW* Greenwood Baptist Church (8529 Snowhill Rd, Harrison, TN) has the following volunteer needs:
- Volunteers who have trucks and can help deliver items out to the volunteer sites
- Volunteers who can help with sorting, greeting and intake
Chainsaw crews to assist with volunteer recovery work - many storm victims need help clearing trees out of roads, driveways and yards before any other work can begin. If you can help, call Pastor Toby at 595-3249.
*NEW* Salvation Army has the following volunteer needs at Camp Joy (6620 Hunter Rd., Harrison, TN). Please call Sharica Smallwood-Ware at 423-505-1052 before showing up to volunteer:
4 to 8 Food Servers are needed from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. from Thursday, March 8 through Monday, March 12
100 to 200 volunteers are needed for Debris Clean-up from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. or 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
2 to 4 Warehouse Workers are needed to work a 4 hour shift between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
*LAST CHANCE* American Red Cross is having the following training class today - It will take place at the American Red Cross building at 801 McCallie Ave. The number for ARC is 423-265-3455.
- Thursday, March 8 at 1 p.m. each day – Volunteer Orientation: This training is for volunteers who have never volunteered with ARC before. After the training volunteers will be able to work at the distribution site (this position will not require a volunteer background check) or they will be assigned to help with tasks that will involve client interaction (this position will require a volunteer back ground check). Some heavy lifting may be required.
Volunteers Needed to Transport Pet Food!
- Let us know if you can help transport pet food to those in need! Email Jeanine at email@example.com
Resources for Tornado Victims and Volunteers
Greenwood Baptist Church on Snow Hill Road is serving as a volunteer assignment center and is providing meals and drinks to volunteers.
Greenwood Baptist Church is providing showers for volunteers and area residents whose homes were damaged on March 2.
Greenwood Baptist Church is providing clothes, groceries, baby diapers, formula, toilettries and household items for area residents whose homes were damaged in the storm.
- The Hamilton County Health Dept. is providing free Tetnus shots for individuals who are involved in storm clean-up and recovery work
- Harrison—Bayside Baptist Church, 6100 Highway 58, Harrison TN
- Cleveland/Bradley County—St Therese Catholic Church
- Ooltewah High School (Command Center)
- Lakewood Baptist Church, Shorttail Springs, Hunter Rd.
- Salvation Army Canteen is traveling through affected neighborhoods with meals
Immediate Care Needs:
*NEW* Greenwood Baptist Church (8529 Snowhill Rd, Harrison, TN) the main site for coordinating volunteers, feeding, donations of items for victims and more, needs the following items:
- Items for personal hygiene kits
- Cleaning supplies
- Brooms and dust pans
- Garbage bags
- Plastic storage tubs (like Rubbermaid)
- Powerade and Gatorade drinks - several pallettes
- At this time, no clothes or children’s toys are needed. If you have questions, call Pastor Toby at 595-3249.
*NEW* Camp Joy (6620 Hunter Rd, Harrison, TN) needs the following items for volunteers and storm victims:
- Non-perishable food
- Cleaning supplies
- Dry baby formula
- Ziploc bags
- Trash bags
- At this time, no clothes are needed
Baby Item Donations needed:
- Diaper Duty of Chattanooga is collecting Baby Formula and Diapers for tornado victims. Call 1-423-999-9718 if you have items you can donate or if you have been affected by the storms and need assistance.
Pets - Donations needed:
- Humane Educational Society is accepting pet food donations to help provide food for local animals that have lost their homes during the current storms. Dog and cat food can be dropped off at HES from 8am to 4pm. If you would like to donate but cannot make it during our hours of operation, you can leave the food in the breezeway up against the building and therefore out of the elements. Even a small bag of food will help a family. Please give if you can.
Posted by Kelley Nave
Leave a comment: